Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day One, Geneva Switzerland

Today I begin my journey in the beautiful town of Geneva, Switzerland. I am surrounded by Les Alps and it's hard not to just stop and stare all day long looking at them. But then I wouldn't get anything done now would I? My hotel is right in the center of town and it's called Hotel D'Angleterre on la rue 17 Quai du Montt. Blanc. It's so beautiful! I plan on making my first stop at Jet d'eau, which is a huge spout that releases water up to 450ft in the air! Here's a picture of it! Doesn't that sky look beautiful too by the way? I can't get enough of this scenery.

I then decided to stop for some breakfast at a local bakery called Paganel Geneve, I couldn't stop staring at all of the beautiful pastries in the window so I simply had to go in. I ended up purchasing a cafe au lait and a pain au chocolat. It's a little bit of heaven!

I definitely had a bit of a sugar rush as I headed onto my next stop. I love gardens, so it seemed only natural that I had to stop at Les Conservatoire et le jardin botanique de la Ville de Geneve. It was so gorgeous! It turns out that it has over twelve thousand species of plants spanning across five continents! There are also five hundred species of medicinal plants as well. And of course the arboretum was gorgeous as well and housed over three hundred year old plant species! 
http://www.ville-geneve.ch/plan-ville/parcs-jardins-plages-bains-publics/jardin-botanique/

After, I grabbed a really quick le sandwich au fromage and was off to my next destination-Cathedral Saint Pierre. I definitely got to work off my a pain au chocolat to climb all the way up one hundred and fifty seven steps to reach to the top, but it was so worth it! It was the most breath taking view of Lake Geneva and Les Alps that I had come across yet! It dates back to 1660!  Back when the Reformation came about, all of the interiors were taken out and all of the artwork on the walls were painted over. It is still beautiful to me though. I got a picture!

http://www.geneva-tourism.ch/?rubrique=0000000144


It'd been a long day, so all I wanted to do was have dinner and a glass of wine to celebrate the day!And since Geneva is the culinary capital of Switzerland, I was doubtful I'd be disappointed! I stumbled upon La Broche, which was a beautiful restaurant located on 36 rue du Strand which is located in the L'Arquebuse. The warm goat cheese salad caught my eye which was brick dough stuffed with goat cheese, tomato and basil, olive tapenade, seasonal greens and parmigiana vinaigrette. It was to die for! I also ordered a glass of red wine with it as well named Geneve which I saw fitting. It balanced out the tang of the goat cheese really nicely! For dessert, I ordered a nice blackberry sorbet and it was bliss. After a long day, my hotel was a welcome sight and all I could think about was sleeping. I'm sure I'll be dreaming all about today!
http://www.restaurantlabroche.ch/-set-menus-.html

Today was amazing! I can't wait to see what this next week brings! Au revoir for now!

Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment